Monday 14 October 2013

Manchester's top ten pubs

This weekend's Guardian had a list of Manchester's top ten craft beer pubs.

If a "craft beer pub" is one that has cask beer, non-mainstream/"craft" keg, bottled European and North American beers and draught, unpasteurised cider, neither the City Arms nor the Grey Horse qualify, despite the latter now offering beers from the Hydes microbrewery's Beer Studio range (Font is the only pub on the list I've not been to but from the description it sounds as though it ticks all the boxes).

I tend to rate pubs on their atmosphere, architecture and clientele. As long as there's one well-kept cask beer, I'm happy. On that basis, my own Manchester top ten, in no particular order apart from alphabetical, is The Briton's Protection, City Arms, Crown and Kettle, Grey Horse, Hare and Hounds, Lass O'Gowrie, Marble Arch, Salisbury, Smithfield and Unicorn.









2 comments:

  1. The only pubs I've been to on the Guardian's list are the Marble Arch and the City Arms, both well worth a visit. But the sterile discussion about craft beer makes ... me want ... to ... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have to say I was a little taken aback to see the City Arms and Grey Horse included in a list of "craft beer bars".

    ReplyDelete